Where HAVOC Helps
HAVOC currently has more than 20 weekly projects at sites off and on the Hill that let students make a difference in the community.
Take a look at the descriptions below to learn more about a project.
- Clinton Middle School HW Club - Emily Granoff (firstname.lastname@example.org), Maggie Horne (email@example.com)
Groups of Hamilton students head down the hill to the Clinton Middle School to help a small group of middle school kids with their homework after school. Tutoring is in a variety of subjects, but no tutoring experience is necessary! The kids really appreciate any help we can give to them! Volunteers and carpools are set up on a weekly basis.
- Rome Art and Community Center - Michaela Guinee (firstname.lastname@example.org), Kaia Miller (email@example.com)
Rome Arts & Community Center is a non-profit multi-arts facility that hosts a broad range of events and services to foster creativity, cultural awareness, and a strong community connection.
- Study Buddies - Natalie Adams (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Study Buddies matches Hamilton volunteers with 7-12th grade students from Utica for lunch, academic tutoring, and on-campus activities tailored to the needs and interests of the students.
- Thea Bowman House - Charlotte Beers (email@example.com), Linh Do (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Habitat for Humanity - Morgan Lane (email@example.com)
The Hamilton College chapter builds in the Oneida County area on a regular basis, sleeps out to raise awareness of inadequate housing, and holds whack-a-nail competitions to fund raise.
- Double H Ranch - Matt Currier (firstname.lastname@example.org), Hannah Ferris (email@example.com)
Students travel to the Double H Ranch camp for kids with critical illnesses for full weekends as volunteers for their Adaptive Winter Sports Program.
- Kelberman Center - Liz Barry (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Kelberman Center is a regional center for excellence for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Kelberman Boomwhackers Program - Hersheena Rajaram (email@example.com), Abby Tulchinsky (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Reindance Stables (Root Farm) - Catie Silvestri (email@example.com), Morgan Walsh (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Root Farm project is an equine-assisted therapy to help and heal children and adults with mental and physical disabilities. Volunteers work with the horses and/or one-on-one with clients in the therapy sessions.
- Tradewinds - Hawer Conteh (email@example.com), Alison Kingston (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Once a week at the Tradewinds center in Chadwicks, we spend time with several groups of awesome kids, all at different ages and all with special needs, and focus on completing creative tasks with them. We've written stories, decorated quilt squares and put on plays in the past. This semester, we'll be exploring the world around us by using recyclables to construct models of the buildings we are familiar with and ones we'd like to see one day.
- Utica Public Library Reading Program - Mariani German (email@example.com), Jerad McMickle (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rome Humane Society - Hayley Berliner (email@example.com), Elizabeth Vasquez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Rome Humane Society is an animal shelter located in Rome, NY. Their mission is to find the right homes for stray, abandoned, and neglected dogs and cats. Volunteering at the shelter includes folding towels, drying dishes, petting cats, and walking dogs. Trips last around 2 hours each and run twice a week, once during the week and once on Saturday.
- Spring Farm Cares - Genevieve Darling (email@example.com), Katie Glusac (firstname.lastname@example.org), Tayzia Santiago (email@example.com)
Spring Farm Cares is an animal sanctuary, where cats, dogs, horses, and rabbits, are offered a home for life. Though playing with the animals is a highlight, Hamilton volunteers also help at the Farm with various light chores, such as laundry, sweeping, or feeding the animals. Volunteers typically visit Spring Farm for 1.5 hours at a time, and there are currently three weekend options.