The Levitt Leadership Institute is a two-week intensive leadership-training program administered by The Arthur Levitt Public Affairs Center at Hamilton College. Its mission is to provide Hamilton students with the opportunity to develop and practice personal leadership skills in the context of their individual career interests with a focus on developing a global mindset, ethical behaviors, and regard for the public good. It includes the following components:
1. Week One takes place on the Hamilton campus from Jan. 12-17, 2014; and focuses on self-awareness, self-management, relationship management, and communication skills.
2. Week Two takes place in Washington, DC, from March 16-21, 2014; and focuses on problem solving, decision-making, motivation, networking, and conflict resolution. In addition to classroom time, students attend networking and information gathering events, spend time developing plans to put their leadership skills to use when they return to campus where they commit to completing a project that will have a measurable and positive impact on their communities.
3. Between the two weeks of the Institute, students receive on-going guidance as they prepare for Week 2 of the Institute, begin to plan their commitment projects, and continue to read and discuss leadership issues. Activities will include faculty-led discussions of issues related to leadership, small group weekly meetings, and setting up networking opportunities in Washington, DC.
4. After the Institute, participants receive on-going support as they design and implement their commitment projects.
The Institute is open to all Hamilton students without regard for concentration or career interest. Preference is given to sophomores and juniors; however, first years and seniors are welcome apply and their application will be given serious consideration. Students must also be able to attend all of the following:
1. Mandatory orientation session on Sunday, December 8th (make session available)
2. Institute Week One: January 12th – January 17th (at Hamilton College)
3. Institute Week Two: March 16th – March 21st (in Washington, D.C.)
The application process for the 2014 Levitt Leadership Institute has now closed. If you have any questions or concerns, please email us. Students who are accepted will be invited to apply for financial aid to help cover the cost of transportation and food while in Washington, D.C.