Off-Campus Study

Office of Off-Campus Study
315-859-4022 (phone)
315-859-4222 (fax)

The Office of Off-Campus Study is located in Christian A. Johnson 105.

Predeparture Resources

Preparing Your Travel Documents



If you don't yet have a passport, apply for one as soon as possible. If you do have one, make sure it is valid for at least six months beyond the date you plan to return to the US. If it is not, renew it, because many countries now enforce the six months' rule. Find out how to get or renew your passport by consulting the Department of State's Passport Services.
Passport photos can be taken at the US Post Office on College Street in Clinton, or at CVS Pharmacy, 39 Meadow Street, Clinton.



Many countries require a student visa. Your program provider can help you with information about whether to apply for one and how.   If you need to contact a consulate or embassy to apply for a visa, use the Department of State's list of foreign embassies and consulates in the U.S.  

Notarizing documents: If you require notarized documents for your visa, you may take them to any notary public listed in the Hamilton directory (look under "Notaries Public").  There are notaries in the Registrar's Office, Alumni Office and Business Office.   Do NOT sign your documents in advance: you must sign them in the notary's presence, and you must show identification. 


International Student Identity Card

Your program provider may include an international student identity card as part of your program fees. If not, you may still find one useful. In some cases, they may provide some benefits including discounts on travel. 


For International Students

Make sure that your passport and F-1 visa will remain valid until your planned return to the US. Stop at the Dean of Students office to have your I-20 travel signature updated, and make sure you inform the International Student Advisor of your address abroad. Depending on how long you are away, you may need to obtain a new I-20 travel signature before you return to the US. The International Student Advisor can help you with these questions. 


Carrying Your Documents

Be sure to carry ALL your relevant travel documents in a safe and secure place. For international students, this includes not only your current I-20, but also any earlier ones you may have. All students should also leave copies of their passport pages, visas, and other essential documents with a trusted friend or family member as a precaution. Having a copy of the information will be extremely helpful if a document needs to be replaced. 

Predeparture Checklist

Print and use the Hamilton Predeparture Checklist as you prepare to leave for study abroad.