What is meant by "Professional-Grade Videoconference:"
- Professional-Grade Videoconferences are unparalleled, high-quality videoconference calls facilitated by sophisticated hardware and support.
How are Professional-Grade Videoconferences supported?
- The process for configuring and running a Professional-Grade Videoconference is by far more complicated than a videoconference facilitated by Google Talk, Skype, or OoVoo:
- All participants in the call must have specialized(e.g. those provided by the Tandberg, Polycom, Cisco, and Lifesize companies) equipment or rent time at a facility equipped with such specialized units;
- There is a fee for using this service;
- Audio and Video quality exceed any solution available on individual computers with webcams and/or microphones;
- A Tandberg unit at Hamilton is stationed on one videoconference cart and permanently stationed in the Taylor Science Center;
- Professional-Grade Videoconferences absolutely must be directly supported by a member of Audiovisual Services.
How can I tell if I should use the Professional-Grade Videoconference Option?
- LITS recommends a Professional-Grade Videoconference only for highest-priority calls (e.g final interviews for a high-ranking position;)
- Skype and Google Talk have been used many times for interviews and courses on campus and are deemed completely satisfactory by users;
- And, as always, LITS welcomes a conversation about your needs and will be happy to provide a recommendation at any time; please contact Audiovisual Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or x4120.
I need to use the Professional-Grade Videoconference option. What should I do?
- Faculty should contact Claire Skjellerup at email@example.com or request a Tandberg unit in 25 live when you request a space;
- Staff may use a Professional-Grade Videoconference solution for interviews with prospective employers, but the request must be initiated at Human Resources.
- Students may use the Professional-Grade Videoconference option for interviews with prospective employers, but the request must be initiated at the Career Center.