Using VPN in Mac OSX
The instructions on this page will guide you through installing the VPN client on your Macintosh computer.
NOTE: The VPN client cannot be installed on a computer connected to the Hamilton network, either via Wi-Fi or a Network Jack. These instructions should only be followed on an OFF-CAMPUS computer.
This video will help you understand why VPN is being used at Hamilton:
Note: If you receive a message stating that the web-based installation was unsuccessful, please follow our instructions to perform a manual installation.
- To begin your installation, open your web browser, e.g. Firefox, Chrome or IE.
- In the location box, type the URL https://outside.hamilton.edu. Note: the "s" in "https" is required.
- In the login dialog box,
- Enter your Hamilton network ID and password, (e.g. jdoe, do not include @hamilton.edu)
- Then click Login
- In the Network Access Warning window, click Accept.
- NOTE: If you receive a window that indicates the automated installation failed, this is due to a variety of reasons, one is if the Java on your computer is not updated. You can either update Java on your computer or follow our instructions for a manual installation.
- The Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client installer will start automatically.
- Depending on your version of Java and the browser, the next screens may or not appear.
- If you see a dialog indicating An applet from "outside.hamilton.edu" is requesting access to your computer, click on Allow.
- Next you may be asked to Run, or Allow the Java application to run. Click on the Run or Allow button.
- Don't Block the application from running.
- OK, allow the application to make changes to your computer.
- The VPN Client Downloader will start.
- When the installation is finished, a connection to Hamilton will be started automatically.
- The Connection Established message includes a screen shot of the icon that you will find at the top of your screen on the menu bar.
- Click on the icon to verify your connection, or to disconnect when you are finished with your session.
Connecting and Disconnecting
- When you want to start a new connection to the VPN, simply click on the VPN icon in dock or menu bar (and click on Connect),
- The Cisco AnyConnect Client will open.
- Verify that the under Ready to connect that outside.hamilton.edu is populated.
- Then click the Connect button.
- Enter your username and password, click OK to continue.
- A dialog window with the warning against unauthorized use will pop-up.
- To continue, you must click the Accept button.
- You will then be connected to the Hamilton VPN.
- You can confirm this by looking at the VPN icon in your your dock. You'll see a lock icon.
- At this point, you will be connected to all of your normal Hamilton College network resources.
- Clicking on Go--> Connect to Server... will get you to your network drives, including your personal and department folders on ESS.
- If you wish to start a Remote Desktop connection to your office computer, you can safely initiate that session now.
- If you wish to connect to one of your network resources, such as your personal folder on ESS,
- Simply click on the Go menu in the desktop menu bar,
- Then click Connect to Server….
- Enter the server address afp://ess and click Connect
- In the login dialog that appears, enter your Hamilton network ID and password, then click Connect.
- Select users from the volumes list, and click OK.
- A connection to the ESS users volume will be started, but it will take quite a while for the folders to download.
- Once the folder list is available, you can navigate to your personal folder, and use it just as though you were on campus.
- Remember to disconnect your session when you are finished.
- Just click on the VPN icon in the dock, then click Disconnect.