Upson Chair for Public Discourse and Professor of Theatre, Chair of Dance and Movement Studies
Craig T. Latrell has published work in TDR, Asian Theatre Journal, Journal of Modern Drama, and Converging Interests: Traders, Travelers and Tourists in Southeast Asia, edited by J. Forshee (University of California, Berkeley, 1999), and elsewhere.
Latrell served on the advisory board of and contributed entries to the Encyclopedia of Asian Theatre (Greenwood Press, 2007), and is president emeritus of the Association for Asian Performance. A two-time Fulbright Award recipient to Indonesia, he also received a National Endowment for the Arts Director Fellowship.
He holds bachelor's degrees in psychology and theatre from Reed College, and a master's and doctorate of fine arts from Yale University School of Drama. Besides Hamilton College, Latrell has taught at the National University of Singapore, University of Denver and Cornish College of the Arts.
Recent Courses Taught
Playing—Introduction to Making Theatre: Theory and Practice
Performing Life: Introduction to Performance Studies
- Dietrich Inchworm Grant, 2019-21
- Christian A. Johnson Teaching Enhancement Award, 2019-20
- Emerson Summer Collaboration Award, 2017, 2010, 2007, 2001, 1999
- Christian A. Johnson Teaching Enhancement Award, 2013-14
- Freeman Foundation Student-Faculty Research Grant, 2005
- Mellon Faculty Development Grant, 2004-06
- Christian A. Johnson Fellowship for Teaching Enhancement, 2004-06
- Hewlett Institute for Curriculum Transformation, 2003
- Fulbright Dissertation Research Award, 1996-97
- Fulbright Senior Lecturer Award, 1992-93
- National Endowment for the Arts Director Fellowship, 1983-84
- “Performance and Place-making at Sarawak Cultural Village,” Budhi – A Journal of Ideas and Culture, spring 2009.
- “Exotic Dancing: Performing tribal and regional identities in East Malaysia’s cultural villages,” TDR: The Drama Review, winter 2008 52:4 T200, 41-63.
- “Ikranegara,” The Encyclopedia of Asian Theatre, Greenwood Press, 2007, 253.
- “Playwrights and Playwriting: Indonesia,” The Encyclopedia of Asian Theatre, Greenwood Press, 2007, 518.
- “Saini, K.M.,” The Encyclopedia of Asian Theatre, Greenwood Press, 2007, 633.
- Review of The Singapore Trilogy, by Robert Yeo, Asian Theatre Journal, fall, 2002, 372.
- Performance Studies: an introduction, by Richard Schechner. New York: Routledge, 2002, 250. (lengthy extract of “After Appropriation,” boxed, discussed and included in the index.)
- “After Appropriation,” TDR: The Drama Review, T168, winter, 2000 T168, 44-55.
- Review of Theatre and Martial Arts in West Sumatra, by Kirsten Pauka, Asian Theatre Journal, fall, 2000.
- “Neither Traveler nor Tourist: The ‘Accidental’ Legacy of Antonin Artaud,” in Converging Interests:Traders, Travelers, and Tourists in Southeast Asia, ed. J. Forshee, Center for SE Asia Studies, University of California, Berkeley, 1999.
- “Widening the Circle: the Refiguring of West Sumatran Randai,” Asian Theatre Journal, fall, 1999.
- “Teater Jenjang, Randai and the Adaptation of Traditional Minangkabau Cultural Forms,” Commentary, Vol. 12 No.1, 1996.
- “Government, the Arts and Censorship,” American Studies Association of Indonesia News, University of Indonesia, Kajian Wilayah Amerika, Vol. 3, Numbers 1+2, Jan.-Apr. 1992 (non-refereed).
- “The Visuals: The Phenomenology of Minimalism,” Theater, Vol. 9 No. 3, summer, 1978.
- “Seneca’s Oedipus directed by Richard Schechner,” Theater, Vol. 9 No. 2, spring, 1978.
- “As It Is: Harold Pinter’s No Man’s Land,” Theater, Vol. 8 Nos. 2 & 3, spring, 1977.
- Assessment Advisory Group, 2013-present
- Committee on Appointments, 2012-present
- Committee on Academic Policy, 2008-11
- Appeals Board, 2007-10
- Harassment and Sexual Misconduct Board, 2006-09
- Committee on Academic Standing, Spring, 2001-05
- Chair, Theatre Department, 2001-11
- Asian Studies Committee, 1998-99; 2000-08
- Committee on Advising, spring 2001
- Student Fellowships Committee, 2000
- Organizing Committee, The Kirkland Project’s Undesirable Elements by Ping Chong, 1998-99
- Phi Beta Kappa Committee, 1997
Association for Asian Performance
American Society for Theatre Research
Association for Theatre in Higher Education
Appointed to the Faculty2000
D.F.A., Yale University School of Drama
M.F.A., Yale University School of Drama
B.A., Reed College