Tara E. McKee
Associate Professor of Psychology
Tara McKee's research focuses on families coping with children with varying challenges such as developmental disabilities and behavior disorders and on the impact of such behaviors on the transition to college. McKee is author or co-author of numerous papers published in Journal of Attention Disorders, Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, Applied Social Psychology, Behaviour Research and Therapy, and Journal of the American Medical Association. She has made several invited presentations. McKee’s clinical work has focused on children in school settings and in-patient hospital settings. She conducts assessments for learning disabilities as part of a small private practice. She earned a doctorate and master's degree in clinical psychology from the University of Connecticut.
Recent Courses Taught
Statistics and Research Methods in Psychology
Behavioral Interventions in Applied Settings seminar
Senior Thesis supervision
The John R. Hatch, Class of 1925, Excellence in Teaching Award, 2005
Hewlett Pluralism and Unity Grant Recipient, 2004
- McKee, T.E. (2014). Social development of undergraduates with ADHD symptomatology: Selection and quality of friendships. Journal of Attention Disorders, OnlineFirst. doi: 10.1177/1087054714554934
- McKee, T.E. (2012). Examining the Dimensionality of ADHD Symptomatology in Young Adults Using Factor Analysis and Outcome Prediction. Journal of Attention Disorders, 16, 427-437. doi: 10.1177/1087054710396039
- Morris, A.T., & McKee, T.E. (2009). Disaster-related trauma and children: A proposed parent training program. Early Childhood Services: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Effectiveness, 3, 99-112.
- McKee, T.E. (2008). Comparison of a norm-based versus criterion-based approach to measuring ADHD symptomatology in college students. Journal of Attention Disorders, 11, 677-688.
- Gillen, R., Tennen, H., & McKee, T. (2007). The impact of the inpatient rehabilitation facility prospective payment system on stroke program outcomes. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 86, 356-363.
- Danforth, J.S., Harvey, E., Ulaszek, W.R. & McKee, T.E. (2006). The outcome of group parent training for families of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and defiant/aggressive behavior. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 37, 188-205.
- McKee, T., Tennen, H., & Affleck, G. (2005). Symptom Checklist-90-Revised. In D.J. Keyser (Ed.) Test Critiques Volume XI (pp. 451-463). Austin, TX: PRO-ED, Inc.
- Gillen, R., Tennen, H., & McKee, T.E. (2005). Unilateral spatial neglect: Relation to rehabilitation outcomes in patients with right hemisphere stroke. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 86, 763-767.
- McKee, T.E., Harvey, E., Danforth, J.S., Ulaszek, W.R., & Friedman, J.L. (2004). The relation between parental coping styles and parent-child interactions before and after treatment for children with ADHD and oppositional behavior. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 33, 158-168.
- Ptacek, J.T., Leonard, K., & McKee, T.L. (2004). “I’ve got some bad news…”: Veterinarians’ recollections of communicating bad news to clients. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 34, 366-390.
- Harvey, E.A., Danforth, J.S., McKee, T.E., Ulaszek, W.R., & Friedman, J.L. (2003). Parenting of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): The role of parental ADHD symptomatology. Journal of Attention Disorders, 7, 29-40.
- McKee, T.E., & Ptacek, J.T. (2001). I’m afraid I have something bad to tell you: Breaking bad news from the perspective of the giver. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 31, 246-273.
- Gillen, R., Tennen, H., McKee, T.E., Gernert-Dott, P., Affleck, G. (2001). Depressive symptoms and history of depression predict rehabilitation efficiency in stroke patients. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 82, 1645-1649.
- Harvey, E.A., Danforth, J.S., Ulaszek, W.R., & McKee, T.E. (2001). Validity of the Parenting Scale for parents of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 39, 731-743.
- Tennen, H., McKee, T.E., & Affleck, G. (2000). Social comparison processes in health and illness. In J. Suls & L. Wheeler (Eds.) Handbook of Social Comparison: Theory and Research (pp. 443-483). New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers.
- Tennen, H., Eberhardt, T.L., & Affleck, G. (1999). Depression research methodologies at the social-clinical interface: Still hazy after all these years. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 18, 121-159.
- Gillen, R., Eberhardt, T.L., Tennen, H., Affleck, G., & Groszmann, Y. (1999). Screening for depression in stroke: Relationship to rehabilitation efficiency. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, 8, 300-306.
- Ptacek, J.T., Fries, E.A., Eberhardt, T.L., & Ptacek, J.J. (1999). Breaking bad news to patients: Physicians’ perceptions of the process. Journal of Supportive Care in Cancer, 7, 113-120.
- Ptacek, J.T., & Eberhardt, T.L. (1996). Breaking bad news: A review of the literature. Journal of the American Medical Association, 276, 496-502.
- Committee on Academic Policy, fall 2014-present
- ad hoc Long-term Planning Committee, fall 2014-spring 2015
- Advising Assessment Committee, spring 2013-spring 2014
- Committee on Academic Standing, fall 2010-spring 2014
- Writing Advisory Committee, 2009-2012 (Chair 2011-12)
- Committee on Athletics, 2008- 2011 (Chair 2010-11)
- Health Professions Advisory Committee, 2003-15
American Psychological Association
Appointed to the Faculty2002
Professional Licensure in Psychology, State of NY
Ph.D., University of Connecticut
M.A., University of Connecticut
B.A., Bucknell University
Playing with my kids: Sophie and Jonah, cuddling with my dog Mulligan, vegetarian cooking, singing, tennis, watching movies