Applying to Dental School
The first documents required for obtaining a Committee Letter are due on December 1st (20 months in advance of matriculation.) Please follow the timeline for applying to medical/dental school if you wish to obtain a Committee Letter.
Information about preparing yourself for dental school, getting strong letters of recommendation, completing the application, and more can be found on the pre-dental portion of the American Student Dental Association (ASDA) website.
The ADEA AADSAS application will open in early June. Information about the components of the application and a link for creating an account can be found on the ADEA AADSAS web site. Detailed instructions for completing the application are found within the application itself. The ASDA also offers tips on completing the application.
ADEA AADSAS considers an application complete and ready to process when it has received:
- Official transcripts from every college and university attended. Requesting transcripts should be one of the first steps in the application process. Provide the registrar(s) with the Transcript Matching Form, found in the ADEA AADSAS application, to send with your transcript(s). ADEA AADSAS will begin accepting transcripts in early June.
- A submitted online ADEA AADSAS application. The application consists of the following sections; more information on each can be found in the application:
- Education - you will need your transcript(s) to complete this section. Request an official copy for yourself when you request that the registrar send it to AADSAS.
- Professional Experience
- Personal Statement - an essay limited to 4500 characters that should answer the question as to why you are pursuing dentistry - show passion! Tips from ADEA AADSAS.
- Letters of Evaluation - for your application to be processed, you merely need to indicate who is writing your letter; your letters do not have to be received for your application to be processed.
- ADEA AADSAS processing fee
- Once all of the above has been received by ADEA AADSAS, it will take two-four weeks to process and forward your application to the schools that you have included on your application. Apply between June and August for the best chances of acceptance.
- Supplemental Materials - individual schools require supplemental materials and each school determines what, when, and how to submit. Make sure to read the Supplemental Information Table in the AADSAS application and read instructions carefully!
- In addition to the ADEA AADSAS application, candidates for dental school also need to submit scores from the Dental Admission Test (DAT.)