Student Health Insurance, Sports Insurance and Renters Insurance
Health Insurance & Sports Insurance
Basic Sickness Insurance Plan (offered on a “waiver” basis)
- Insurance coverage is through Haylor, Freyer & Coon
- Students who enroll at Hamilton will be billed an annual premium of $2368.82 (MVP Insurance Carrier Rate - $2277.72 - Broker Fee - $91.10); Fall only premium is $987.00 (MVP Insurance Carrier Rate - $949.05 - Broker Fee - $37.95); Spring only premium is $1381.81 (MVP Insurance Carrier Rate - $1328.67 - Broker Fee - $53.14) for 2022-23. Hamilton College Student Health Insurance Plan unless they submit an online waiver and provide proof of alternate coverage. This waiver must be completed annually. Please complete the waiver by July 1 to avoid unnecessary charges.
Eligible financial aid students who have been billed the student health insurance premium may receive an additional grant to offset a portion of the student health insurance premium. The Financial Aid Office will notify students directly regarding their insurance grant eligibility; no action is required by the student. If you have any questions regarding your eligibility for a student health insurance grant, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 1-800-859-4413.
Intercollegiate Sports Accident
In the event of an intercollegiate sports accident, the insurance is secondary to any other insurance carried by the student. However, the insurance will cover any deductible or charges excluded by the primary insurance.
All student intercollegiate sports accident claims must be submitted to the student’s insurance carrier first. The balance can be submitted to the College’s carrier. Students are responsible for filing their insurance claims. The College does not handle direct billing.
Intercollegiate sports accident claim forms can be obtained at the Health Center or the Athletic Trainer. For detailed information on insurance coverages, contact Administrative Services at 315-859-4974.
Renters' Insurance Coverage for Personal Property
Student Renter's/Property Insurance
It is important for students to be aware of and fully consider all of their property insurance needs. Hamilton College does not carry insurance on students’ belongings and does not pay to replace them. Occasionally, theft, water damage, accidental damage, and other events occur that may result in damage or loss of a student’s property. Therefore, parents and students are strongly encouraged to make sure they can cover these unexpected costs or secure insurance protection on personal property.
The most frequent causes of student property loss are theft and accidental damage (dropping, spilling liquids, and similar events). If this were to happen, the out-of-pocket costs to repair or replace would generally run between $500 and $2,000. Some parents choose to rely on homeowner’s (HO) insurance to cover such losses. Homeowner’s policies provide some coverage but generally do not cover “breakage” or accidental damage and usually have high deductibles that effectively leave most student property losses unrecoverable.
Comparison of College Renter’s Insurance vs. Homeowner’s (HO) Insurance
|Coverage||College Student Renters Ins.||Standard HO or Renters Policy|
|Coverage Plan Insuring MOST ALL Causes of Loss||Yes||Maybe (depends on policy)|
|Accidental Damage (Drops & Spills)||Yes||No|
|Deductible Amount||Starting at $25||$500+ on standard HO|
|Identity Theft Expense Reimbursement||Yes||No|
If you decide to purchase student renters insurance, many companies and policies are available for research coverage and quotes. We do not endorse any single insurance company. The following three companies offer specialized student property protection insurance.
- Mercer Health & Benefits Insurance Services LLC., CampusConnexions
These three companies have created property insurance plans, especially for students living away from home, either on or off-campus. The coverage afforded by these policies is broader than most renters' and homeowners’ insurance policies. Special provisions and benefits of their policy include:
- Replacement cost value
- Worldwide coverage
- Limited Identity Theft expense coverage
- Water damage and vandalism or even accidental damage
- Low deductibles start at $25 (A deductible is an amount you pay before the insurance covers the claim)
- Low premiums start at $69 annually (A premium is the amount of money charged by the insurance company for the chosen plan)
- Full 12 month policy period
Please note that Liability Coverage is not automatically included. You will be given the option to purchase Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability Coverage to pay for damages for which the student is held legally liable (i.e., damages to the dorm room, damage to property of others, bodily injury of another party, etc.)