Students and Supervisors

Please go to the Student Employment Office website for a complete overview of on-campus employment.

Student Wage Rates

Student wage guidelines have been established to reflect the skills required for specific positions, with flexibility to reward those with experience or special skills.  Questions about the placement of positions or appropriate hourly rates should be reviewed with Human Resources by  email or by calling x4688.

Student Payroll

In order for a student to be paid, a separate Employment Authorization form must be completed for each job the student has.  In addition, if the student has not been employed by the College at any time, he/she must also complete the required payroll forms.  

All authorization forms and necessary payroll forms should be completed and submitted to Human Resources no later than the first day of a student's employment. A student working on campus for the first time must visit Human Resources to complete the necessary paperwork and be cleared to work. Students are paid bi-weekly during the academic year and during the summer. FICA tax is deducted from summer paychecks. Hamilton College does not pay overtime on a daily basis for Student Workers. Student Workers who work in excess of 40 hours in a work week will receive overtime pay.

Hiring Process

Supervisors: Please go to Student Worker Hiring Process for a complete checklist to verify the appropriate form(s) are completed and submitted (a printable checklist is available at that site).

Students: Please refer to the Student Employment Process to explain the forms and documents required for employment. This will also assist in verifying that the appropriate form(s) are completed and submitted.

In addition, the following procedures/policies should be noted:

  1. It is essential that the information submitted on all forms be accurate and complete. Incomplete or missing forms will result in the paperwork being returned to the supervisor for completion and may delay timely payment of wages earned;
  2. All rate changes should be submitted on a new Employment Authorization form;
  3. International students working on campus for the first time must contact the Business Office (ext. 4376) or Human Resources (ext. 4688) to complete an on-line questionnaire to determine their taxable status. Also, they may not work more than 20 hours per week.
The following forms must be completed and submitted:
  • Employment Authorization Form (one form per job);
  • Federal Tax Withholding Form W-4 (required);
  • State Tax Withholding Form IT-2104 (required-all student employees must complete this form in order to work, earn and report wages in New York State);
  • I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) 
  • *Direct Deposit, Students (encouraged but not required)

Contact Human Resources, ext. 4302 or 4688, with any questions regarding these forms and/or procedures. Please contact the Payroll Office, x4316 with questions about paychecks.


Human Resources

Office Location
Philip Spencer House

Help us provide an accessible education, offer innovative resources and programs, and foster intellectual exploration.

Site Search