Sustainability Working Group
Purpose and Function
To serve as the primary planning and coordination body for issues related to sustainability and Hamilton’s long term commitment to carbon neutrality.
Governance and Reporting
The SWG reports to the vice president for administration and finance, to the senior staff, president, and the Board of Trustees (BG&E), and functions as a recommending body — with approval required for major decisions and actions.
The SWG’s principal charge will be to develop a Sustainability Action Plan, with recommended strategies, actions and projects that advance sustainability efforts at Hamilton. Key focus areas include energy management, capital investments that facilitate conservation, natural resources management, operations improvements and community education. Example tactics include but are not limited to the following:
- Identify best practices used at other colleges and organizations and consider ideas proposed by members of the Hamilton community that may advance our sustainability efforts.
- Evaluate leading research that outlines operational cost/benefit analyses.
- Support the faculty as appropriate on curricular integration of sustainability issues.
- Identify community partnerships where Hamilton students can contribute to local and regional sustainability efforts.
Recommend projects and initiatives that are worthy of implementation in the Sustainability Action Plan, and monitor/revise the plan accordingly.
Monitor, report on, and update the Climate Action Plan developed as a participant in the Second Nature Carbon Commitment (previously known as the American College and University President’s Climate Commitment).
Operating Guidelines and Key Benchmarks
- The SWG will meet at least every other month (monthly if/when necessary), and will use smaller project groups or committees for more detailed discussions/collaborations that may involve other members of the community.
- The key benchmarks over the next two academic years are as follows:
- February 2021—Draft Sustainability Action Plan Outline
- June 2021—Energy Master Plan, Land/Forest Stewardship Plan, Final Sustainability Action Plan Outline, Draft Climate Action Plan Outline
- October 2021—Final Climate Action Plan
- May 2022—Final Sustainability Action Plan
- The Sustainability Action Plan will be updated annually, and the Climate Action Plan will be updated biennially.
2-Year Action Plan
|Focus Area: Energy & Facilities||Interim Deliverables and Timeline|
Energy & Facilities
|Focus Area: Land & Forest Stewardship||Interim Deliverables and Timeline|
|Focus Area: Education & Community Engagement||Interim Deliverables and Timeline|
Facilitator and director of environmental protection, safety and sustainability
Associate Vice President for Facilities & Planning
Director of Environmental Protection, Safety and Sustainability