Code of Conduct
Statement of Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct
The Office of Financial Aid at Hamilton College, in accordance with federal regulations, is committed to the highest standards of professional conduct. We are members of the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) and follow its code of conduct. We invite you to contact us if you have any questions regarding these statements.
NASFAA Code of Conduct for Institutional Financial Aid Professionals
An institutional financial aid professional is expected to always maintain exemplary standards of professional conduct in all aspects of carrying out his or her responsibilities, specifically including all dealings with any entities involved in any manner in student financial aid, regardless of whether such entities are involved in a government sponsored, subsidized, or regulated activity. In doing so, a financial aid professional should:
- Refrain from taking any action for his or her personal benefit.
- Refrain from taking any action he or she believes is contrary to law, regulation, or the best interests of the students and parents he or she serves.
- Ensure that the information he or she provides is accurate, unbiased, and does not reflect any preference arising from actual or potential personal gain.
- Be objective in making decisions and advising his or her institution regarding relationships with any entity involved in any aspect of student financial aid.
- Refrain from soliciting or accepting anything of other than nominal value from any entity (other than an institution of higher education or a governmental entity such as the U.S. Department of Education) involved in the making, holding, consolidating or processing of any student loans, including anything of value (including reimbursement of any expenses) for serving on an advisory body or as part of a training activity of or sponsored by any such entity.
- Disclose to his or her institution, in such manner as his or her institution may prescribe, any involvement with or interest in any entity involved in any aspect of student financial aid.
The Hamilton College Financial Aid Office is dedicated to providing students with the financial resources and individual guidance necessary to help make their dream of a Hamilton education a reality. We comply with all federal, state, and institutional policies and regulations to assure the ethical stewardship and awarding of funds from a variety of sources.
The Hamilton College Financial Aid Office believes in fostering partnerships with students and their parents which are built on a solid foundation of good communication and cooperation. This working relationship ensures timely completion of aid applications and notification of financial aid eligibility to both prospective and current students. Our need analysis adheres to the basic principles of federal methodology, which along with institutional need analysis promotes a fair and equitable treatment of family situations and allocation of need-based funds.
Office of Financial Aid