Loans for Students
Most financial aid awards consist of scholarships, work-study and loans. The average total student indebtedness has ranged from $17,500-$20,500 in recent years.
Federal Direct Loans
Year of Study
Hamilton Loan Levels
Additional Unsubsidized Loans
*International students, including Canadian citizens, may be awarded institutional loans at the Hamilton loan levels.
Additional Federal Loan Information
- Borrower must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Subsidized loans do not begin accruing interest until after college graduation and for the 2023-24 academic year have a fixed interest rate of 5.50% with a 1.057% origination fee.
- Unsubsidized loans accrue interest upon disbursement and for the 2023-24 academic year have a fixed interest rate of 5.50% with a 1.057% origination fee.
- Repayment begins six months after the student graduates or drops below half-time enrollment.
- Hamilton awards loans as indicated in first column of chart. Depending on eligibility, additional unsubsidized loans may be borrowed to offset the family contribution.
- Loan proceeds will be credited directly to the student's account.
- Additional information is available via the Direct Loan Basics for Students brochure.
Student loan application requirements:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Direct Loan Master Promissory Note
- Direct Loan Entrance Interview Counseling
- 2023-24 Hamilton College Direct Loan Request Form (login required)