Employment is defined as any type of work performed or service provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food, or other benefits.

If a student does not receive any pay for work performed, this activity is not defined as “employment” but is considered to be “volunteer work.” There are restrictions associated with volunteer work and all F-1 students should consult the Director of International Student Services before accepting any employment or volunteer work in the United States. Employment for F-1 students is very restricted and proper authorization is required. 

F1 students are normally permitted to work on campus subject to some restrictions described below. F1 students may NOT work off-campus except in very specific circumstances. Do not take ANY off-campus job, internship, or assistantship without first consulting the Director of International Student Services. You must be authorized for practical training for most off-campus employment, even if it is unpaid.

On-Campus Employment

Work on campus is usually permissible if it meets certain requirements. Immigration regulations state that this employment is automatically authorized for any student in lawful F-1 status. Students should check with the Director of International Student Services for school requirements and procedures governing the authorization of on-campus employment. Employment is limited to 20 hours per week except during vacation periods when a student may work full-time, up to 40 hours per week. 

On-campus work performed is usually acceptable, whether it is employment in a student's academic department, the library, the computer center, or the housing office. Work required by a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship is also acceptable.

This applies regardless if you have work study or not.  All jobs are posted via Handshake and you must have a cover letter and resume to apply.  Please see the Student Employment website for all necessary information.

Work performed on Hamilton College grounds or premises for an outside contractor or firm is considered to be on-campus employment as long as the employer provides direct services to students. The only outside contractor that hires students on this campus is Parkhurst (Dining Services). 

International students are not eligible to receive any federal monies; if, for example, a summer science research project is funded by NSF (National Science Foundation), the student would NOT be able to be paid with NSF grant funds.


If you have any questions about the student employment process, wage level, forms, etc., please contact Human Resources at extension 315-859-4688 or email Michael Thayer

If you have questions about obtaining a social security number, please contact the Office of the Director of International Student Services 

If you have any questions regarding student job opportunities, work-study eligibility, etc., please contact Financial Aid at 315-859-4434 or email finaid@hamilton.edu.


Office / Department Name

International Student Services

Contact Name

Omobonike Odegbami

Director of International Student Services

Office Location
Days-Massolo Center

Help us provide an accessible education, offer innovative resources and programs, and foster intellectual exploration.

Site Search