Choosing Courses for Study Abroad

  • Study abroad is an academic semester and students are expected to be full-time students abroad and to transfer back the equivalent Hamilton credits to maintain full-time student status.
  • Remember that Hamilton students are required to enroll in one course each semester in the language of any non-English speaking country in which they study (one course in Danish, Czech, Swahili, etc.).
  • Consider courses you must take (for example to fulfill a requirement for your concentration or minor), country-specific courses you want to take (for example a national history or literature course), and courses that complement Hamilton course offerings (for example, courses in subfields of your discipline that may not be offered at Hamilton).
  • Choose courses that are similar to Hamilton courses in terms of content and rigor. They may match a Hamilton course closely enough to be counted as its equivalent or they may be rigorous, liberal arts courses not offered at Hamilton but in a discipline taught at the College.
  • Be aware that Hamilton DOES NOT award transfer credit for non-liberal arts courses.  For example, courses in business, advertising, design, fashion, marketing, management, accounting, entrepreneurship, leadership, law or journalism or for "practice" courses such as television production would not receive transfer credit.
  • Please make sure to read the Transferred Credit Policies and Procedures for Matriculated Hamilton Students.

Help us provide an accessible education, offer innovative resources and programs, and foster intellectual exploration.

Site Search