When to Get Permission

If the material you wish to use is under copyright protection and you feel your intended use of the material falls outside the scope of fair use, you will need to get permission to use it.

Some examples:

  • When you intend to use the material for commercial or noneducational purposes.
  • When you intend to duplicate your project beyond the two copies allowed by the fair use guidelines.
  • When you plan to distribute your project beyond the scope of the fair use guidelines.
Seeking Permission to Use Copyrighted Works
  • Find the copyright owner
  • Request permission
  • Keep a record of all correspondence and forms

Educators should be aware that it may be possible to make use of copyrighted materials beyond what's provided under fair use, if permission is granted first. There may or may not be a charge, and permission may be refused, but it never hurts to ask.

For more information:

Video or Audio Recording of a Campus Event

Faculty members or students presenting original work, or campus guests that are presenting lectures or performances, must sign an AV Individual Recording Release form before the event can be video or audio taped.

Video or Audio Recording of Students in Class

Audio Visual Services requires that the faculty member and every student complete an AV Class Recording Release form for all in-class recording requests.

Video or Audio Recording for a Student Project or Presentation

The author of a project produced using Hamilton College resources must seek written permission to use the likeness of any recognizable individual shown in the work, using the AV Individual Recording Release form.

The $400 million campaign marked the most ambitious fundraising initiative in the College's history.

More About the Campaign's Success

Site Search